Finding the Great Maltese Falcon

As occurs on all holidays of mine, I have developed a cold. Apparently this is something to do with coming down from the stresses of termtime, though I suspect it is yet another punishment for my unashamedly rabid bisexuality. I have a sunburnt nose as well now, which you'd think would exacerbate my self-pity, but truth be told it actually leaves me one step closer to being the lovable glowing reindeer that I've always wanted to be, so I can't complain.

I was on the plane for a considerable period  yesterday night, which meant that I had enough time to come up with three whole jokes about Malta, as you can see:
1. What is the most popular food in Malta? Maltesers.
2. What is the most popular food in Malta? Malt Loaf.
3. What is the most popular food in Malta? Gammon.
I hope to take these jokes on tour in the near future. Perhaps I will tie this in with my reindeer project; anyway, I know that the jokes will *sleigh* my audiences (!!).

It is lavishly warm in Malta, and Valletta is beautiful. Most things seem beautiful under the sun, I think, but this city is really something special - dusty brown stone all raised up in sheer alleyways and harbourfronts, glinting with the light that skims off the Mediterranean and up towards the buildings that surround it on every side. It was the first planned city in Europe, so my guidebook informs me, which only goes to show that they don't make 'em like they used to (Exhibit A: Harlow, near me).

This is not Malta
Anyway, Valletta's beauty has made for a very relaxing day, though me mam (with whom I am happily sharing this trip) has spent most of her waking hours desperate to spot a Maltese Falcon. I don't know what these look like, but as I write this she is telling me that they are usually found around the full-moon phase in March. This is probably because the full-moon tide makes it harder for the falcons to swim, so then they have to fly, which makes it easier for one to see them. I think.

Could this be the Great Maltese Falcon?

Our searches for this elusive bird took us right across the harbour, to the 'three cities' region of Valletta. Here it became apparent that the Maltese are extraordinarily friendly, always say hello and are obsessed with cannons. They also build great forts, one of which (the San Angelo) I visited, and definitely passable maritime museums. We had two brilliant meals out as well, and all in all we've managed to pack a huge amount into just this one day, too much to do justice to here.

Crazy Maltese residents

I am sitting in the room now feeling very relaxed. Have started reading a new book - 'The Watchmaker of Filigree Street' - and am thankful to have escaped the history stuff for a bit. This trip has been a great way of switching off from term time, though as ever I miss my friends from uni. You spend the whole of term wanting to get out of Cambridge and then forgot how lovely it is having everyone around!

More falcon searching tomorrow.

RJLF

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All Revision and No Cats Makes Bob a Dull Boy

Where You Can See My Sky - Justifying Writing

Franklin goes to China(town)